I took some photos of the minnows in the shallow water by the pavilion fishing dock and never even noticed the turtle lurking underneath the surface until I looked at the pictures on my computer. It’s head is peeking out from under the leaf.
Click image to zoom:
August 27, 2019 – underneath the surface in Lake Tamarack
June 6, 2012 – grass carp in Lake Tamarack
These are some big fish (see photos below)! The Lake & Wildlife Committee stocks Lake Tamarack with fish, including grass carp.
- Click thumbnails below for photos of grass carp in Lake Tamarack.
- Click here for today’s local fishing forecast.
- Click here for an article on the use of sterile grass carp to control aquatic weeds.
- Click here to link to info from the University of Florida, which includes “Sterilization techniques are not 100% effective. One study showed that milt from some triploid males was used to successfully fertilize eggs from normal diploid females. Other studies have shown that triploid grass carp are able to produce viable eggs and sperm, although in very low numbers.”
- Click here to link to a recent USDA article about invasive aquatic species.
- Click here to read L&W 2010 grass carp stocking information.
- Click here to read L&W 2011 grass carp stocking information.