A Board work session is scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday (January 17) in the Club Tamarack Recreation Room. The work session information packet (22 pages) is available on the official Bent Tree website. Several proposed amendments to the Rules & Regs are included.
One of the topics to be discussed is “Revision of square footage requirements for homes”. Here are some of my thoughts:
- Yesterday, on a NextDoor social media site, someone stated “The minimum square footage requirement was raised by the BT Board…”.
- Actually, the minimum square footage requirement was raised by a 2004 amendment to the BTCI CC&Rs. Amendments require not only the declarant’s approval, but approval by the required number of property owner votes.
- The same person also wrote “It came to light during the orientation sessions that this change could be voted on by the board.”
- Actually, the board could vote to send it out as a proposed amendment to the CC&Rs. It would then be up to the property owners to decide whether or not to make that change.
I did email my thoughts on the subject to the board members.
December 21, 2022 – Striped Skunk in Bent Tree
Regarding the three-year gap on this website: I was a member of the Board of Directors of Bent Tree Community, Inc. from January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2022. Shortly after coming onboard, I was advised that there is an unofficial policy that prohibits board members from participating in social media postings involving Bent Tree. The rationale is that anything said by one board member on social media could be misconstrued as to be speaking on behalf of the entire board. So, I basically took a three-year break. During the same time frame, some board members posted their individual perspectives on Facebook pages that are not official BTCI communication venues. I’ve never joined Facebook, but many people forwarded me some interesting FB posts from board members over the last three years. Aside from those FB postings, what was even more interesting is that the key person, who advised me against continuing my blog while I was on the board, started his own BT-centric website for a short period of time.
I’m thankful for my three years on the board, but I did miss being able to post on this website. I have three years of photos that I’ve taken. Over the next few months I’ll go through them and post some favorites.
To start with, the skunk photo above is a recent one that’s fresh on my mind. I’ve always known there were skunks in Bent Tree, but it was cool to actually see and get photos of a striped skunk on Denny Ridge two weeks ago. I didn’t have my usual camera with me, but at least I had my phone camera.
In 2008, the Bent Tree Board of Directors appointed an ad hoc committee to develop a long-range strategic plan for BTCI. In September 2009, the 20/20 Ad Hoc Committee presented a written report to the Board and to the community. Page 8 of the report relayed information gathered from a June 2008 survey of the Board of Directors and 20/20 members.
The WSSDMF (Water System Storm Damage Mitigation Fee) has been implemented.
Starting with this month’s bill, Bent Tree water customers will see $10 per month added to their bill. This new fee will last for six months, for a total of $60 per house. According to the notice that went out with the current bill, “All funds will be used to repair damage to the Bent Tree Water System caused by the August 2013 rains. Any residual funds following system repairs will be added to the Water Construction Sinking Fund.”
The fee should bring in more than $65,000 to make the repairs to the water system. This does not include rebuilding the road at the Tamarack Drive washout (other than any incidental water system repairs necessary at the site). The photo below was taken last month, and shows some of the damage to the water system.
Following is a brief recap of items that were approved at Tuesday’s (November 27) Board of Directors Meeting:
NOTE: Due to a “lack of consensus”, the Board did not put the proposed improved property owner USER FEE to a vote. This particular issue has been tabled for now.
GENERAL PET POLICY – APPROVED
LAKE & WILDLIFE PROJECT REQUESTS (to be funded by L&W at no cost to BTCI):
- Annual stocking of Lake Tamarack with trout – APPROVED
- Boat skid at marina – APPROVED
- Donate $5000 to BTCI to be used for removal of downed trees – APPROVED
- Build two bocce ball courts at beach area – APPROVED (pending General Manager’s review of proposed location)
NEW MEMBERS FOR TENNIS, GOLF & GREENS, COMMUNICATIONS, LAKE & WILDLIFE COMMITTEES – ALL APPROVED
TWO COLOR ADDITIONS FOR EXTERIOR PAINT CHOICES – APPROVED
2013 BUDGET AND FEE SCHEDULE – APPROVED (an additional golf membership category was added before the vote)
The Bent Tree Board of Directors Work Session is scheduled for Tuesday, November 20 at 9:00 (Club Tamarack Rec Room). Property owners may participate in work session discussions, when recognized by the Chair. Topics for discussion are:
- Unfinished Business – Change to Rules & Regs, General Pet Policy
- Unfinished Business – Addition to Rules & Regs, Hunting
- New Business – Lake & Wildlife Project Requests
- New Business – Tennis Committee Nominees
- New Business – Budget Proposal *
- New Business – Fine Schedule
- New Business – Color Addition
- New Business – Website Team Leader
* The budget proposal will include the proposed Fee Schedule for 2013. Participation in this meeting is your best opportunity to let the Board know of any questions/concerns you might have regarding changes to fees.
NOTE: The 2013 PROPOSED Budget and the 2013 PROPOSED Fee Schedule are available on the official Bent Tree website. The BOD has been leaning towards a $150 general user fee to be accessed from all improved property owners. This fee is not reflected on the draft fee schedule. There is also a new water billing fee that is not shown. Follow these steps to access the files:
***UPDATE – the link to the proposed 2013 budget is now obsolete and unavailable***
- visit www.bent-tree.com
- log in using your registered owner username and password
- go to “Management”
- under “Management” go to “Board of Directors”
- on the “Board of Directors” page, scroll all the way to the bottom
- click on “2013 Proposed Budget (2)” Update – the link is no longer available
- click on the individual links to the budget and the fee schedule
The three candidates supported by the Lake & Wildlife Old Guard* won the seats for the Bent Tree Board of Directors. Meanwhile, the collected assessment rate at the end of August was 83.7%. Our current Board of Directors set this year’s budget assuming a 86% collection rate (even though the 2011 collection rate was only 84.3%). Here’s hoping the final quarter of 2012 brings in a lot of past-due collections.
*Note – This is not my wording. The term is straight from one of “The Old Guard” himself.
From the October 2012 Bent Tree newsletter: “If you have allowed your improved property to become overgrown with weeds, you will be receiving the letter below.”
Definition of weed (top of search list when googled): A wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants.
From a 1970’s brochure marketing Bent Tree:
To be counted, ballots for the Bent Tree Board of Directors election must be received by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, October 12, 2012, at P.O. Box 1148 Jasper, GA 30143.